Sing Song Yoga 2014 Charity of the Year: Life Services Parent Center
Sing Song Yoga® is thrilled to partner with “Life Services Parent Center, home of Deanna’s Playhouse” for our 2014 Charity of the Year. They have a long history of serving local families in the Holland Michigan area beginning way back in 1983. Life Services Parent Center including an indoor fully accessible play center, Deanna’s Playhouse, provides a gathering place where young parents can learn all about how to help their children be the best they can be. The Center provides respite for parents and hours of fun for their young children. The Center has developed in large part due to Deanna DePree’s work at the Federal and State level. Deanna’s belief that “parents want to do the best for their kids, but need information to know what to do” intrigued the U.S. Department of Education. They granted the Life Services agency a 5 year grant to implement the belief. The grant ended in 2011, with many successes to report.
• A large 26,000 square foot Parent and Play Center exists in Holland.
• 13,500 visitors came to the Center in 2011; 16,000 visitors came in 2012.
• Prepared the greater Holland community to collaborate on Early Childhood and school readiness
Parents have the opportunity to learn the basics of child rearing very early in their baby’s life.
• Just the simple activity of reading to their baby makes a big difference in their child learning to read.
• A parent’s hug may seem like a small thing, but it is huge to a baby’s sense of worth and emotional feeling of being valued and loved.
• Loud arguments make a baby feel scared and insecure, but parents often think that their little one is too young to be affected. The fact is that this is very emotionally upsetting to the baby. The baby’s brain begins to concentrate on survival rather than on learning.
The Playhouse’s E-Club Newsletter informs over 2,000 families about resources & opportunities for play:
• In 2011, over 13,500 visitors participated, including 22% free.
• In 2012, 16,000 visitors, including 24% free.
• In 2013, Playhouse visitors and memberships have continued to increase as families increasingly recognize the value of this socio-emotional and developmentally appropriate experience for their young children!
• DPH annually hosts ~70 birthday parties, ~30 field trips and ~60 special events for families (themed events, company parties and family reunions).
Parenting Resources and Consultation – Parents have access to free parenting support resources in our libraries. PAT-trained educators are available for individualized consultation. Referrals are made to community services, as appropriate. Classes for Parents – PNC grant, “Grow Up Great”, provides financial literacy for 135 families with young children by offering Workshops at the playhouse. Children make banks and parents take home important information. Parents as Teachers (PAT) – working cooperatively with the Ottawa County Health Department serves over 600 families annually – predominately in the Holland area. As the State Office for Parents As Teachers, LSPC coordinates parent educator trainings and certification across Michigan. Local agencies with PAT-certified parent educators include Ottawa County Public Health, InterCare, Ottawa Area Intermediate School District, Child Development Services and Deanna’s Playhouse.
“Books” Program – Each year provides a before-school, literacy program for students at all four Holland elementary schools. Parents could safely drop-off their children before school began each day. In 2012-13 served over 980 students.
Pre-School Fair – held every January to provide parents an opportunity to visit with staff from area preschools. Many family members attend in preparation for selecting a preschool for their child.
Leaders for the 21st Century Since 1999, LSPC has designed and coordinated a 3-day leadership training for over 800 Holland area seventh graders at Hope College. The student leaders return to school and, coached by their counselors, continue to work to make their middle schools a welcome place for all students!” Thank you in advance LSPC for allowing us to be a part of your 2014! For more information please see www.lifeservicessystem.org
This entry was posted on Friday, February 7th, 2014.
Posted in Charity of the Year.
Tagged: app, boys, charity, children, childrens yoga, girls, iphone app, kids, kids christmas, kids yoga, kids yoga app, kids yoga benefits, parenting, physical activities for toddlers, raising kids, schools, yoga