Deb Weiss-Gelmi found her roots in teaching children through songs as an elementary school teacher. She used songs for classroom management, for teaching literacy & math skills and discovered a uniquely joyful classroom environment. It was obvious to Deb right away that music makes learning easier, more effective and more fun! And what’s even better is that the brain research backs up what she joyfully experienced. Educational researchers find that music, movement and fun combined in one activity naturally increases the positive chemicals in the brain that help with concentrated sustained attention, with memory and with new learning.
When Deb’s daughter was preschool age, she was unable to find a local kids’ yoga class or a good DVD at the time. So with her classroom experiences of teaching through songs and with her years in yoga, she started writing songs to teach yoga to kids in a similar way she’d been teaching kindergarten. And the rest, as they say, is history!
Deb finds it deeply rewarding to guide her students (adults and children) from their first experiences with yoga through a deeper understanding of yoga and themselves.
- Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher (CIYT)
- Teaches at The Yoga Studio in Grand Rapids, MI
- Teaches yoga through Zeeland Recreation, MI
- Provides Sing Song Yoga® Teacher Training and Professional Development
- Genuine respect for children
- Bachelorʼs in Elementary Education (BSEd) and Child Development
- Masterʼs in reading and literacy K-12 (MA)
- Shares parenting and teaching insights in her blog
- Yoga since 2001
- Also teaches adult yoga
Our mission at Sing Song Yoga® is to introduce yoga to children and families in a fun, child-friendly, brain-friendly way in hopes that yoga will become a part of their lives for years to come. Therefore, the benefits of yoga can be enjoyed through the teenage years, into adulthood, and up through old age.